Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Furniture and Summer Decor

Over the past few months, Jason and I have made some updates to our house.  We finally feel like we are settled and our house is completely furnished....at least for a while.  This post is mostly pictures.  Enjoy!

I knew exactly what I wanted our dining room table to look like.  I searched and searched, and I swear went to almost every furniture store in Houston looking for something that resembled what I had envisioned that was a price I wanted to pay.  I never did find the perfect table; however, in my search I found a guy in the heights who custom builds wood furniture.  Jason and I sat down with him and designed the table I had in my mind and ended up getting a much better deal than if I had bought it in a store.  It was delivered in April, and we love it just as much today as the day we got it.  It is solid wood, and I hope we will have it for many, many years.

Much like the table, I knew exactly what kind of chairs I was looking for.  After tons of searching, I finally settled on these chairs from Restoration Hardware.  I love the linen upholstery and the curved backs of the chairs.  I just think they complete the look of the dining room.

Since we moved in, we have wanted to buy new couches for our living room so we could move the ones we had down to Jason's "man cave".  Jason and I chose these brown leather couches and are really happy with them.  I think they are the perfect mix of our style while being super cozy.  I should have fluffed the pillow before taking this picture, but I guess you see how you just sink in in the back.   :)  Because the couches have a slightly masculine shape, I got some pretty pillows and feminine throws to soften the look.  I am pleased with the final product.

The love seat.

We have not hung anything on the back wall of the man cave, but other than that it is set up.  We painted the walls a slate gray color.  These are the couches we had in our living room before we bought the ones above.  We bought the coffee table off of Craigslist, sanded it down, and restained it ourselves.  We added the rug to complete the look.

Jason hung this ATM neon sign...very "mancave like".

We moved a TV we had upstairs down to this room and bought the TV stand it is sitting on.  We also added the mini-fridge in the corner to keep drinks so Jason doesn't have to leave the couch during his football games.  haha

Sanding the coffee table was a labor of love and ended up being a much messier task than I was anticipating.  I was happy with the results though and the price was much better than just buying one from a store.


I changed out the decorations on our entry table for the summer.  I added red, white, and blue flowers to my vase to replace the bright springy ones.  I also added the red lantern.  I think it looks very summery.  I plan to leave it like this from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

I also changed out the centerpiece on our kitchen table.  I added the starfish to make it feel like summer.

Centerpiece of the dining table.  I like the burlap in the center.  I think it ties in with the color of the dining chairs.

Coffee table decor.  I bought some sand at Lowe's and added it to the bottom on this tray that my mom gave me for Christmas.  I just added some candles and randomly placed shells around to complete the room.

No comments: