Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Farming, Family, and Fun

Last weekend I flew down to Harlingen to visit my parents and had the best time.  My parents, Cale, and I all got up super early Friday morning and headed out to Port Mansfield for a morning of fishing.  It was a gorgeous morning, and there is just nothing like watching the sun rise on the bay.  The morning got even better when we all caught our limit of trout within the first hour of fishing.  It was the best trip out I had had in a while.  We continued to fish in hopes of catching some reds but just caught more trout and had to release them.  Since Dad was starting the grain harvest Friday afternoon we headed in and cleaned up.  We dropped the boat off at the farm so I got to see Grandma and Grandpa as well.  That night, my mom and I headed over to Uncle Richard and Aunt Cheryl's house to visit with Kelsey, Kristi, and the kids.  They were all baby-sitting Tyler, Cooper, and Claire as well so needless to say it was WILD.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures while we were there.  It was great to get to catch up with everyone.  Saturday, my mom and I decided to head down to SPI for an afternoon at the beach.  Aunt Ann and Aunt Sherry were staying down there for the weekend so we layed out with them for the afternoon.  That night, Cale picked up Chinese food and brought it and a movie to my parents house.  It was exactly what I was in the mood for after a busy Friday and Saturday.  My mom, Cale, and I went to church on Sunday since Dad is in the middle of harvest.  I wanted to get to say bye to him before I left so Mom drove me out to the farm and I rode on the buggy with my dad for a few hours before my flight.  I have so many memories of going to the farm during harvest as a kid.  I just love it.  I find the process so interesting, and I am always so proud of my dad and uncles for all of the hard work they put in during the year.  I have the hardest working dad, and I so appreciate everything he does for our family.  Please pray with my family that Hurricane Alex does not hit the Valley and affect our crops.  My family has one of the best crops they have ever had in the field, and this threatening weather could be devastating.  All is all it was a fantastic weekend.  It always makes it so hard to get on that plane and leave.







 Ridin' the tractor with my daddy!

Johnson Brothers

Farmin' Family

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad you had a good weekend. Wish I could have seen you more while you were down here. We still haven't played our game of hand and foot!!! We need to get our championship team back together!

Nicole Hoff said...

Great pics at the farm! Glad you got to come home for a bit! Have a nice summer!